In this review we take a look at the Famili OT007 Remote Electric Barbeque meat thermometer. It is quite a mouthful and we will break it into bite sizes for you. We will cover its features and tell you all about its good side. But we are also fair and will also tell you about some of the not so good things.
That way you can make a well-informed decision about this thermometer and if it will be the best choice to expand your grill accessories. This thermometer comes with a range of features to go with its long name. View some other thermometer reviews here.
It has a LCD backlit screen that changes color when you are cooking to indicate what the ideal temperature is. It has nine different preset temperatures and it has a range of around 300 feet (91m) so you don’t have get a face full of smoke every time you need to check on the food. The settings can also be programmed manually and it comes with a timer and an alarm. The timer has a countdown or count-up function.
The thermometer can deal with a range of temperatures all the way from 16°F (-9°C) to a scorching 428°F (250°C). The steel probe has a length of 6.5 inches (166mm). The Famili thermometer uses four AAA batteries and comes with a belt clip or counter stand. It also has a 1 year limited warranty. But let us see how its good and bad sides do against each other.
- The thermometer has a LCD backlit screen. The screen changes color when you are cooking
- It comes with nine different preset temperatures
- The thermometer has a range of about 300 feet (91m) (it can measure temperatures from 300 feet away)
- Settings can be programmed manually
- It has a timer and an alarm
- It has preset settings for different types of meat, like beef or fish
- It comes with a belt clip and a stand for use on countertops
- It uses 4 AAA batteries
- The stainless steel probe has a length of 6.5 inches (166mm)
- It has a range of 1.5°F or 0.8° C temperature accuracy
- The thermometer can measure between 16 °F (-9°C) to 428°F (250° C)
- It comes with a 1 year limited warranty
- Dimensions: 2.56 x 1.5 x 4.88 inches (6.5cm x 3.8 x 12.39)
- The remote receiver is helpful. It means one person can check the temperature directly while another can check it remotely (while having a beer or watching a bit of television)
- The thermometer is easy to use and works well with meat smokers
- It is reliable
- The thermometer has pre-settings for different types of meat, such as beef or pork
- It will work with your grill or oven
- The programming gives it good flexibility of use
- Synching the units can be tricky
- It can be inaccurate depending on the placement of the sensor rod
- The colored backlighting is not easy to turn on and off and the settings are a bit difficult
- The instructions are unclear
Whether you are preparing a large rib roast, Thanksgiving turkey or a Texas style smoked brisket the temperature is a key consideration if you want your meat soft, cooked and juicy. This Famili thermometer is reliable and easy to use. It works well with meat smokers and you can set it up so you can view the temperature remotely.
So if you are preparing something during winter, you don’t need to run outside every few minutes to check on the temperature. It is also good if you want to use it in the kitchen while you get on with other household tasks. The backlight on the display also means you don’t have to struggle to read it when you cook at night.
It can be a little tricky to synch the units, but with new batteries and a millennial (or other technologically inclined friend) at hand it will not be a problem at all. The thermometer can give inaccurate readings and it depends on where it is placed in the meat. If it is not placed in the thickest part the readings can be off. The instructions are not very clear and this can cause some frustration.
The Famili Barbeque meat thermometer has an extended range and can function over a longer distance than other wireless thermometers. It has a longer sensor rod, and is reliable. It is very reasonably priced in comparison to its competitors and the range of programmable functions give it some extra versatility.
It is much easier to program than other meat thermometers and won’t leave you swearing instead of cooking. The preset meat temperatures offer a convenient additional feature. The probe is made from food grade stainless steel that performs much better than cheaper thermometers.
The Famili barbeque meat thermometer is also more accurate than many other meat thermometers if you use it as instructed. The LCD screen is not the most durable part of the thermometer and can damage easily if you drop it accidently. It can also generate error messages if it is knocked around a little.
If you are tired of guessing when you need to check on your roast or of running around while trying to remember what the last temperature was, a wireless thermometer like the Famili remote electric meat thermometer is a great choice. It has a large range, has a range of different programmable settings and a clear LCD display.
It will work with grills, smokers or a conventional oven and has pre-settings for different meat types, so can prepare chicken or rib roasts or steaks perfectly each time. You wont have to face the embarrassment of a perfect steak reduced to charcoal ever again. (Not that you overcook things intentionally of course. Sometimes the temperature just doesn’t work like it should.)
It is reasonably priced and offer a lot of features in exchange for your hard earned dollars.So now you won’t have to tell anyone that you are a chef, you can prove it with perfectly cooked meals every single time.