A gas smoker can be an appropriate choice for those people who are looking out for a smoker which costs below two hundred dollars and still provides the taste and crustiness required for a perfectly smoked cut of meat. As far as using a propane gas smoker is concerned, it is very easy to operate and requires as much effort as running an electric smoker. There is some hesitation that the propane gas fire plays a direct role in smoking of food.
In reality, the smoke is actually created by the wood chips, smoker briquettes or wood chips used in this type of smoker. The other fact regarding propane smokers is that controlling the temperature in such models is much easier as compared to pellet or charcoal smokers. In this article we will go through some of the most popular models of propane smokers to help you find the best one for your smoking requirements.
Masterbuilt 2-Door Propane Smoker, 30″ comes with dimensions of 43.5 inches x 21.1 inches x 21.4 inches. This vertical smoker is designed for providing ideal temperatures as well as the required quantity of smoke for slowly cooking variety of food items. The body of this smoker is manufactured using high grade steel and the insides consist of four chrome plated cooking grates, porcelain coated woodchip pan and water pan.
A temperature gauge with bezel is also provided on the door to monitor the inside temperature for a perfect smoking experience. Cool touch wire handles are provided for safe opening and closing of the doors. Masterbuilt 2-Door Propane Smoker is currently available for around $175.00.
- Vertical design with 700 square inch cooking space.
- Built-in one touch electronic push button ignition.
- Door with lock and inner lining for maintaining constant internal temperature.
- Temperature gauge for controlling heat and smoke
- Chrome plated cool-touch handle for ease of usage.
- Temperature gauge provided in this smoker is not reliable enough.
- Drip tray not large enough.
Masterbuilt GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker is suitable for beginners or users with small families. With its vertical design and large smoking space this smoker is quite perfect for people living in apartments or with limited outdoor space.
This dual door smoker is designed for providing ideal temperatures using a built-in thermometer which indicates perfect temperature settings in ‘Smoke Zone’ for creating the required smoke. Heavy duty steel body along with a high temp finish makes it quite durable and rust-resistant. This uniquely designed propane system comprises of a 15000 BTU cast iron gas burner with an electro-pulse ignition system.
Four adjustable chrome plated grates provide 784 square inch of smoking space. The double door design helps in retaining heat and smoke when refilling the water pan and wood chips. The air dampers provided on the side and top of the smoker help in controlling the level of smoke and moisture levels. Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP Double Door Vertical Smoker is currently available for around $185.00.
- Vertical design for allowing proper convection and to keep direct heat away from food.
- High quality porcelain enameled steel wood chip box with side handles and lid.
- Uniquely designed grease and condensation management system for stress-free cleaning and maintenance.
- High capacity water bowl.
- Side handles for portability.
- Not able to maintain any other temperature beyond two hundred degrees.
- Thin metal used in the construction.
This propane vertical smoker is quite efficient to help its user to attain professional smokehouse flavors whether they are steaks, ribs, ham or chicken. This high performance smoker with its vertical design does not occupy too much space, thus making it quite suitable for small spaces.
This dual tray vertical smoker comes with dimensions of 18L x 18W x 26-1/2H inches when opened. The body of this smoker is manufactured with high quality steel. The propane smoker provides ample space to cook two large pieces of meat or poultry simultaneously. This smoker grill comes with a 10-1/2-quart aluminum pot and basket, porcelain flame disk bowl, and a 19 inch solid steel gas cooker stand.
The built-in thermometer and rust resistant aluminum dampers on the lid help in controlling the amount of heat and smoke. The cast iron burner provides sufficient heat for different cooking techniques. The lid of the smoker is fixed with a nylon handle for safe and easy removal. The rust resistant durable aluminum fuel door on the side of the smoker allows easy and convenient refilling of charcoal and wood. Masterbuilt M7P 7-in-1 Smoker is currently available for around $140.00.
- Option of choosing propane or charcoal for boiling/steaming, deep frying, smoking and grilling.
- 10-1/2-quart aluminum pot and basket for deep frying.
- Vertical compact design.
- Lid and body manufactured using high grade steel.
- Built-in temperature gauge
- Comes with one year limited warranty.
- Side door provided for refilling wood chips is quite small in size.
- Burner tends to choke when set to a low flame.
- Top lid requires adjustments for proper smoking.
Masterbuilt M7P 7-in-1 Smoker and Grill with Pan and Basket Set is quite versatile in its usage and can be used for camping or outdoor cooking while on the move. With this single smoking unit you can opt for seven functions which include boiling, steaming, grilling and frying by just making some alterations with the parts.
After going through all the features associated with propane smokers discussed above, the Dyna-Glo DGY784BDP Double Door Vertical Smoker is the best propane smoker as it provides ideal temperatures using a built-in thermometer, which is designed to indicate perfect temperature settings. The four adjustable chrome plated grates provides 784 square inch of smoking space.
The second best option is Masterbuilt 20051311 GS30D 2-Door Propane Smoker as it is manufactured using high grade steel and its vertical offset design offers 700 square inch of cooking space. If you are looking for a smoker with versatile usage then you can certainly opt for the Masterbuilt M7P 7-in-1 Smoker and Grill with Pan and Basket Set.