Even with different variants of smokers available on the market, majority of people still opt for charcoal smokers to prepare different kinds of smoked food. A smoker is designed to cook food at a very slow speed and create a smoky flavored layer known as a crust on the outside of the food while using a smoking technique. The main reason behind using a charcoal smoker or grill is based on the fact that the texture and taste acquired by using such methods of smoking is not possible by using an electric or gas operated smoker.
Though operating a charcoal smoker can be a bit difficult and a little bit messy, but the finished product is fully cooked and moist from inside with all the nutrients trapped under the layers of smoke created by the charcoal smoker. In this article we will go through some of the most popular models of charcoal smokers to help you find the best one.
This smoker is designed for providing ideal temperatures using a built-in thermometer as well as the required quantity of smoke for slowly cooking a variety of food items. It comes with a heavy duty steel body which along with high temperature coat makes it quite durable and rust-resistant. This uniquely designed charcoal system comprises of a porcelain enameled charcoal chamber which keeps the briquettes stacked tightly, thus improving the burn efficiency. Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoker is currently available for around $175.00.
- Vertical offset design for allowing proper convection and keeps direct heat away from the food.
- High quality porcelain enameled steel tray for charcoal and wood.
- 1176 square inches to accommodate more than 100 lbs. of food at a single time.
- Six adjustable grills for different types of food.
- Dual door design for minimal loss of heat and smoke when refilling.
- Cannot maintain heat levels of more than 260 degrees.
- Fire box must be stocked with wood and charcoal all the time.
This charcoal offset smoker is quite efficient to help its user to attain professional smokehouse flavors with their food, whether they are steaks, ribs, ham or chicken. This high performance smoker with its vertical design does not occupy too much space, thus making it quite suitable for a small patio or backyard.
Char-Broil 14201876 Vertical 365 Charcoal Smoker comes with dimensions of 22.4″W x 19.7″D x 44″H and is suitable for people with small open spaces in their house. This vertical offset smoker is designed for providing ideal temperatures as well as the required quantity of smoke for slowly cooking a variety of food items. The body of this smoker is manufactured using a cast iron and the inside consists of three chrome plated cooking grills, a porcelain charcoal pan and a water pan. A temperature gauge is also provided to monitor the heat produced in order to make required changes. Char-Broil 14201876 Vertical 365 Charcoal Smoker is currently available for around $75.00.
- Vertical offset design with 365 square inch cooking space.
- Separate access door for tending to the charcoal and water pan.
- Multiple dampers and a temperature gauge for controlling the heat and smoke.
- Three adjustable grates for different types of food.
- Chrome plated cool-touch handles for ease of usage.
- Charcoal bowl provided in this smoker unit is not appropriate.
- Water pan needs to be replaced with other compatible one.
This charcoal offset smoker is suitable for beginners or users with small families. At the current price, it is one of the basic models of charcoal smokers with a simple vertical design and a large smoking chamber.
This dual tray vertical smoker comes with dimensions of 19L x 19W x 41H inches when opened. The body of this smoker is manufactured with a high quality steel and porcelain enameled. The two heavy duty 18.5 inch cooking grates provide ample space to cook two large pieces of meat or poultry simultaneously. The porcelain enameled water pan provided in the base prevents the drying out of the meat and collects all the fat and juices.
The built-in thermometer and rust resistant aluminum dampers on the lid and bottom of the smoker help in controlling the amount of heat. The lid of the smoker is fixed with weather resistant, glass reinforced nylon handle for safe and easy removal. The rust resistant durable aluminum fuel door on the side of the smoker allows easy and convenient refilling of charcoal and wood. Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker is currently available for around $300.00.
- Large storage space for cooking two big pieces of meat at same time.
- Two nickel plated 18-1/2 inch grates for accommodating different sized portion of beef, pork, poultry and fish.
- Vertical compact design.
- Lid and body manufactured using high grade US steel.
- The inside and outside porcelain coating are baked at temperature of 1500°F for rust proofing
- Comes with ten years limited warranty.
- There is an issue of poor drainage between the cooking capsule and the lid.
- The lips of the lid fit inside the lip of the cooking chamber thus allowing condensation to go into the fire chamber.
Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker is an improved version of its earlier model and quite appropriate for small families. With new added features, using this smoker is now more user friendly.
After going through all the features associated with the charcoal smokers discussed above, the Weber 721001 Smokey Mountain Cooker 18-Inch Charcoal Smoker is the best option because of its compact vertical design and quality material used in its manufacture.
If you are looking for a smoker with enough space and in the range of below one hundred dollars then you can certainly opt for the Char-Broil 14201876 Vertical 365 Charcoal Smoker as you can attain the same smoking requirement provided by a moderately priced smoker.
If you want extra cooking space then you can opt for the Dyna-Glo DGO1176BDC-D Charcoal Offset Smoke as it provides 1176 square inches of usable area to accommodate more than 100 lbs. of food for smoking.