Buying a grill is a serious investment. Grilling has become such a popular pastime that a lot of families view it as more of a sport than a hobby. When buying a grill, you have a lot of different factors to look for, not the least of which is your fuel source.
Grills come with a variety of different fuel sources, each with their own benefits and drawbacks.
- Charcoal grills come with a cheaper fuel source. They heat up slower, because you have to wait for the charcoal to heat up and then, in turn, for the grill to heat up
- Propane grills are another good option. They heat up much quicker, but many grill fanatics will tell you that a propane grill will never compete with the flavor of a charcoal grill
- Hybrid grills combine the best of both charcoal and propane, and sometimes come with additional cooking methods, such as smokers. The drawback is that they’re much more expensive.
Today we’ll be looking at the best charcoal grill under 200 on the market, for folk who are interested in having a cost-efficient, reliable, and durable barbeque experience.
We’ll start off with our top pick, and then review “the best of the rest” below.
Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill Review
The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill is mainly used for indirect grilling which is an effective way of cooking. The grill works mainly on lump charcoal or the charcoal briquettes which are highly powerful ways of transforming the heat into the useful energy.
The charcoal grills are considered to be self-taught and highly effective grills used for barbeques. Most food lovers prefer the food prepared in the charcoal grills. The food prepared on the charcoal grill is full of aroma and the added flavor which everyone enjoys.
Some of the grills have ventilator system and some are without having any. The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill is made of strong metal and enclosed wiring. The charcoal grill is rectangle in shape and has set of legs attached to the panel. It remains strong and lasts longer. The grill can fit easily in the limited space in the backyard during the parties and become part of the fun.
Features of the Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill
- Dimension of the Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill has primary cooking space of 580 Sq. inches.
- Total area of the grill including – removable racks of 270 Sq. inches – is 850 Sq. inches.
- The grates are made of cast iron in separate sections and are easily lift-able.
- The ash-pan is well fitted and can be easily cleaned by removing the collected ash.
- The cart is made of heavy duty steel having 8 inches wheels, which move the grill around.
- The grates of the grill are removable, adjustable and can be easily washable.
- The grill is made of sturdy metal, and powder coat which is long durable.
- The grates can be removed in parts instead of removing the entire set.
- The adjustable fire grate and the heat grate control the heat inside the closed hood.
- The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill works fine with few charcoal briquettes while cooking.
- The grill adds smoky flavor which changes the taste and odor of the food completely.
- The crank handle is useful while adjusting charcoal and keeping the heat constant.
- The grill can be used during the cold winters as heater when placed outside the home.
- The rectangle shaped charcoal grill is not stable on the three aluminum legs provided.
- The set of charcoal grate and cooking grate needed to be replaced after a few years.
- Charcoal burns extremely fast and it does not help in saving fuel under emergency situations.
- It needs lots of cleaning to keep the ash collector clean after every cooking.
The food gets tasty when it is grilled properly. To grill the food properly one has to regulate the temperature of the grill. The charcoal grills are the best while controlling the heat. The lump charcoal works well and keep the heat and flame burning evenly while cooking in the charcoal grill.
The temperature of the grill depends on the quality of the lid and on the distance between food and the charcoal. The charcoal grills have the dampers which are used for controlling the temperature. The taste of the food mainly depends on the heat generated in the grill and the overall temperature.
The intake damper allows plenty of oxygen to enter and it helps heat and the flame to burn properly. The other damper allows the smoke to move away slowly, making use of most of the smoke while cooking the food.
The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill is compact in size and very useful. The charcoal grills works faster and prepares delicious food because of its constant heating process.
There are few different types of charcoal grills available in the market today. The Kettle grill consists of a lid and kettle-shaped charcoal grill. It also has separate cooking grid along with a chamber and a ventilator. The cart grill is rectangle in shape having a side table and wheels.
The grill has separate ash collection box which keeps the ash in powder form. Both the grills are the best for indirect grilling and for the barbeque. Most of the small-in-size grills are light in weight and are easily portable.
The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill has digital thermometer which keeps the track of temperature during cooking. While preparing a recipe, you can adjust and keep the temperature constant for a while as per the instructions given in cook book. The digital thermometers are accurate and are useful while preparing lot of food at a time.
The grill has strong lid which also helps in keeping the heat and smoke under the control. It captures the heat inside and allows it to be used effectively over the food making it delicious in taste. The grill offers high quality grill supports better cooking techniques which everyone loves and when you buy the Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill, it will make your neighbor envy and jealous.
The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill is very useful. It makes grilling highly effective when used with three shelves, which allows more food items to be cooked at a time. The heat and the flame remain constant when the charcoal burns continuously to cook the food from all sides.
The grill charcoals are most feasible to use because they are easy to maintain and easy to clean. You do not need to spend more time while washing and cleaning the grill after the cooking. The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill is always preferred in the outdoor activities. The charcoal grills are made of cast aluminum along with powder coated steel which makes the grill of superior quality.
The grills with vitreous enamel covering last longer even when used in extreme heat. The charcoal grill works efficiently when you add the charcoal and keep the flame burning longer which makes the food taste flavorsome. Most of the charcoal grills have a small well-fitted door which can be used to add the charcoal as and when required. The Char-Griller 2828 Pro Deluxe Charcoal Grill is handy, useful and highly favored among the food-lovers.
Runners Up – The Best Charcoal Grills Under $200
Kingsford GR-1031-014984 Barrel Charcoal Grill
Features of the Kingsford GR-1031-014984 Barrel Charcoal Grill
- Features a massive cooking area of almost 800 square inches
- Has a solid, sturdy cast iron cooking grate that heats up evenly
- The side shelves expand and contract allowing you to choose your cooking area depending on how much space you have
- Sits upon wheels for easy mobility
- Has a thermometer to help you ensure a proper cooking temperature
- Available at an incredible price compared to similar sized grills
- One of the biggest cooking areas that you’ll find on the market
- Comes at a much cheaper price than most other grills you’ll see for under a hundred books
- The grills can take a beating and are great for high temperature cooking
- The thing’s not too hard to move thanks to good wheels
- Cast iron grills are hard to clean
- A very heavy unit which can be difficult to move, even with wheels
- Included instructions are nonspecific and make for a hard setup
Expert Grill Heavy 24-inch Charcoal Grill
Features of the Expert Grill Heavy 24-inch Charcoal Grill
- Has a cooking space of 374 inches which is enough for grilling 20 burgers at the same time
- Has just over 200 inches of a chrome warming rack to keep your food warm after cooking
- Has solid cast-iron cooking grates. They’re made to be heavy duty and withstand high temperatures and taking a beating
- The charcoal pan is adjustable for your preferences
- The side shelves are foldable to save space
- Comes with a bottle opener to crack brews while you’re having summer cookouts
- Comes with a temperature gauge to properly ensure your food doesn’t burn
- Good size and good quality warming rack means you won’t have to rush to serve your food before it cools
- The charcoal pan is very user friendly and easy to adjust
- Added features like bottle opener make for pleasant experiences
- Solid cast iron grates ensure durability
- A smaller cooking area than the previous entry
- Takes a long time to put together
- Doesn’t seem like it will last more than a couple years
- Instruction manuals are overly complicated and hard to read
Weber 14501001 Master-Touch Charcoal Grill
Features of the Weber 14501001 Master-Touch Charcoal Grill
- Made by Weber, who are considered pioneers in the grilling market
- Has a 22-inch circular bowl with 363 inches of cooking space
- The bowl is made of porcelain for easy cleaning and durability
- The cooking grate uses hinges as part of the Gourmet BBQ system
- Has a One-Touch cleaning system that uses removable ash catcher
- The damper is rust resistant and has handles with hooks to hold your tools
- Once setup, it stands 42 inches tall and is 29.5 by 24 inches wide/long
- Removable grate allows different kinds of cooking
- Backed by a reliable brand name that even prestigious grillers can respect
- Uses a circular design for ergonomics and convenience
- One-touch cleaning system makes things easier after your cookout
- Has a removable grate for easier cleaning and various types of cooking
- Uses the Gourmet BBQ System
- Very difficult grill to put together especially when compared to other Weber products
- Difficult to empty when changing the charcoal
- Instructions aren’t clear
- Inability to adjust the height of the grill
- Not the best surface area
Blackstone 3-in-1 Kabob Charcoal Grill
Features of the Blackstone 3-in-1 Kabob Charcoal Grill
- Has several different cooking modes available – regular BBQ, a shish-kebob rotating skewer, and a meat/fish smoker
- A built-in thermometer helps you regulate the heat
- Comes with 11 23-inch skewers for making kebabs
- Coated with a black powder finish to stand high temperatures
- The kebab cooker is automated and rotates the skewers for you
- Removable catch pan helps make cleanup easier
- Adjustable air vents give you more control over your cooking
- Comes with simple instructions that make it easy to put together
- You can cook a lot of different foods in different ways with this one grill
- Has a built-in thermometer
- Air vents allow you to adjust the intake/outtake and cook to your preferences
- Catch pan helps you with the cleanup
- Easy to assemble
- The finish tends to flake or chip off after being used
- The metal is not the strongest and can be flimsy
- The product packaging isn’t reliable and parts can be damaged during shipping
- Part placement can be confusing or inconvenient – the skewer receptacle is abnormally small and far from the heat source
There are a ton of different grills out there, and it’s not always easy to find a good one. These are definitely some of the best charcoal grills under $200 that you can find. In fact, without proper research, it’s easier to get ripped off than it is to find a good product.
Fortunately, there are quality grills available for low prices. The products we’ve looked at today are cheap and of great quality. If you buy one of these products, you know you’re not getting a perfect grill.
Buying one of the above grills means you’re getting good value. We hope we’ve helped you make a good decision.